Saturday, August 17, 2013

Under the Sea



My grandson Evan is 5 years old and I haven't presented him with a painting yet.  He is a handsome, sweet-natured boy that prefers quiet play, using the ipad or computer, playing games and watching movies.  I've been debating what theme would be a pleasing one for his special painting.  This is a possiblity.  First I put down a wash of blue paint, tilted the paper and let it run, giving it a watery feeling.  Then bright colors were added at the bottom with a generous sprinkling of sea salt to create coral.  Underwater plants were immediately added using a rich mix of paint so the spreading was kept to a minimum.  I created a stencil of fish shapes by laboriously cutting them out of stencil material.  When the paint dried, the fish shapes were first washed out and then painted back in with detail.  I'm hoping Evan likes it!
PS  Evan was shown a digital image of this painting and when asked if he wanted it for his room, the answer was:  Nah, I want a monkey!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: